Monday, February 2, 2009

School nurses with God complexes

I have a real issue with the school nurse where my twins go to school. It started with something when they started in the fall. One boy came home and told me that the school nurse called him into the office and handed him a wet wipe and made him wipe his butt and pee-pee in front of her. It upset him extremely bad. I know this because he blurted it all out before he even made it off school property and usually it's like pulling teeth to find out how his day has gone. I couldn't believe it, I kept asking him questions and his story never changed. Except tyhat she kept asking him if he ever took a bath to w hich he responded No. I couldn't figure out for the life of me, why if this HAD happened, why i wasn't contacted by the school.
So i jump on the phone and put a call into the nurse and she is gone for the day. So i leave a VM for the principal.
Next day I get a call back from the nurse. Her story is this:
"One of the kids had a poopy odor and so each child who sat in that general vicinity was sent to the office to wipe, it WASN"T your child, it was someone who sat next to him".
My response "Why could you just not send them into the classroom bathroom to re-wipe, no need for you to actually watch and embaress them, they aren't 3 they are 5,6 yrs old. They don't need an audience"
Nurse: "Fine then, next time I think it's your child who smells, I'll just have you come to the school to pick him up"
Me " That is not neccessary, but neither is you viewing my child genitals you embaressed him and upset him. It's obvious my child wipes"
Nurse" Well maybe but he said he doesn't take a bath"
Me: me laughing "You're right he doesn't, he showers"
Nurse: "I'm done with this conversation"
That was incident number 1. I did get a call back late from the principle who kinda had the same crappy attitude as the nurse. Her and I agreed that IF it happened again, they could send him into the bathroom with a wetwipe and I'd be fine with that.

The next incidents apply to the most recent one which is why I'm including them

It's the beginning of winter and the nurse calls. My twin who is asthmatic was having coughing fits after recess and my twins have very very sensitive gag reflexes, so he's having a coughin fit and then throw up from coughing so hard. 3 times in 2 weeks they made me drop everything and come get him because he threw up and it's school policy if there is vommitting, the child must go home. I got a Dr.s note after the 3rd incident saying they both had sensitive gag reflexes and also texture adversions (jello can bring on throwing up), and that they weren't really ill. The Dr.s note was never needed though because they haven't throwin up again lately.

That brings me to this morning. Since last Wednesday night some or all of the kids have been sick. Coughing green crust, diarhea, and throwing up. It was hard to tell what was what, and who was doing what. Especially with the twins who had a cough. i couldn't tell what was gagging throw up and what was flu type throwing up. SO I"ve kept the kids or part of them home Thurs. Friday and now today monday Just to be on the safe side. (I HATE when people send sick kids to school). This is the frist days of school they have missed this year (except for the days they were sent home becuase of the gagging throwing up).

This morning I get a call from the evil school nurse. She says "I need to know where *** & **** are
I said "at home with me sick"
"Well what kind of sick" she says
I said "croupy sounding coughs accompanied by throwing up and green crusty noses."
"Well I hope to God you've had them to the doctor..... "
I said "as a matter of fact not, I have 5 kids, anytime they get croupy sounding coughs, i get told to do steam baths and to come back if it gets worse. So i saved myself the copays and have been doing the steaming and they are getting better, you will probably see them tomorrow"
"WEll they NEED to see a doctor"
"Is there something in the parent handbook i missed about them needing to have a Dr.s note for croup to be admitted back to school if they HAVEN"T been sent home sick"
"NO but in my professional opinion they need to be seen, if you like i could come do a home visit on chek on everything"
(insert my jaw dropping)
"That will NOT be necessary"
Said in a snotty tone "You SAID they have croup but they also are throwing up, if they are just throwing up from a cough, you can send them back"
"Umm you sent them home 3 times in the last couple of months from throwing up, becaue of coughing, i will NOT be sending them in, just to have them sent home, HENCE my keeping them home to begin with"
"I don't recall that EVER happening"
(inset my second jaw drop)
"Just send them in, they NEED to be at school"
"No Mrs. **** They don't, they are my children, i think they need to be home, so I will be keeping them home till i feel they are ready to come back. "
" Fine do whatever you think is best but i have a HUGE problem with you keeping them home, have a good day"
*call ended*


This nurse obviously has a huge issue with me. I don't understand and I dont' think it's fair. My kids will be at this school for 6 years. I need to try to get along with this woman, but I don't know how. She's got a God complex. She's nuts. Plain and Simple.

Conversation with my oldest childs school nurse
"Hey this is ********, ***'s mom"
"He is still not feeling well, i want to make sure he's feeling all better before i send him back, you'll probably seeing him tomorrow "
"Awww poor guy, tell him i hope he feels better and we'll see him as soon as he feels up to it"
"I'll tell him, thanks, bye bye"
End of story......... I get along fabulously with my older childs school, so I just do NOT understand the attitude of my twins' school.

*sigh* I can't wait till summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment